Thursday, June 11



*We are kickin' it into high gear*

Ok folks! I have had several people ask me about our progress with kickin' debt out of the house. I have gone from the greatest spender on earth to the gal who just had to call my husband in the middle of his dinner with some business buddies absolutely giddy to let him know that I just hit "send" on the final payment on his credit card! (Let's be fair, his name is on the card, but my clothes, furniture and necklaces are on the bill)

So lets do a debt count down:

Last year I had essentially maxed out the following-

1-a car loan
2-an Ann Taylor card
3-a Lowes Credit Card
4-my personal Chase Credit Card
5- CompUSA Credit Card
6-Brian's Chase Credit Card
7-a Bank of America Credit Card

All totaling over almost an annual salary.

They say that the number one cause of divorce is money fights and money problems. Please allow me to personally vouch for that. In November, I went ahead and decided that it was time, as an official adult, to act like one. (Yes, this may have something to do with the fact that I had recently started managing a bank and spent all day, every day teaching others that it is in fact a poor choice to spend more than they make) I finally decided to bid farewell to those days of buying everything I had ever seen, telling Brian that it had simply grown in the closet, or one of my mother's favorite lines, "Oh, I have had that for YEARS!" It turns out that it is even more gratifying to have a happy husband than delightful accessories. So, much to Brian's disbelief, I lined up each of our debts and began shooting them dead one by one. As of tonight, we have paid off all but the Bank of America bill!

It is time to finish strong and not lose focus. So where do we go from here? Well, I work for praise and rewards so I decided that was important to have the last credit card paid off by the end of August as my anniversary gift to Brian. I will pay off our second mortgage as a Valentines gift to us both, and then I have hired a designer to pull together some finishing touches in my house as my birthday present to me. Don't worry. Both she and the furniture will be paid for in cash up front! Sound like a plan? Yeah, lets see if I can keep up the momentum for another 8 months. . .

*Wish me luck*


4 comments:

bill said...

hurray! way to go, sis!

Mary Elizabeth Liberty said...

this is amazing Bethany, you should send this entry to DAve Ramsey~

Heather Addie said...

When I went to NYC last month I got some baked macaroni and cheese with chicken that had this truffle oil on it.... It was amazingly good....

Jessica said...

Isn't it amazing how liberating it feels to pay off a loan?