Monday, May 31


*Fancy a Peach/Blueberry Crisp?*


Tonight I have been in a bit of excited panic - note that as I write this it is 1:45 am and I have yet to feel sleeps restful hand. I determined a few days ago that I would hold a rather impromptu Memorial Day picnic tomorrow (or technically in a few hours) after I get off of work for just two or three friends. Well, we all want too much of a good thing at times, and now we have a pretty healthy group of people headed to 4th south at 4 pm for some good old fashioned fun.

Yes, I know this sounds idyllic: a BBQ in the freshly grown gardens in the backyard with summer fruit and lawn games, but pause for one moment if you will. I realized a few minor things this evening. People never stay in the yard. They will invariably wander into the kitchens to provide some assistance of some sort, and it will most certainly be appreciated. Someone will go to visit the powder room as we will be enjoying ourselves for quite some time, and invariably, a tour of the home will be requested which is a gift for the hostess to provide. All of this sounds lovely and should be but for one small detail... my house is a mess!


This is where many feel they ought to panic and spend the day dressing their home for company, but I am a special sort. What did I do today? Well I began a new Capote book, snuggled in bed with my Pooh bear (the hubby) played with the kitties, and got in some DVR Craig Fergueson, and then finally went shopping to get the ingredients for tomorrow. Simple enough but on the way to the store I recalled that I could really use a new camera charger as I have once again begun documenting my life for each of you and it would be a pity not to have photographs of the party. After running to multiple stores to get to one who had the charger in stock, Madison and I (my usual partner in crime) finally returned to my home around 8:30 where we proceeded to practice a new dessert for tomorrow night and where we added yet four more people to our little fete. After such a diverting day, we sat down and were delighted to discover that the newest recipe of the pear and blueberry crisp with a bit of vanilla ice-cream is truly one of life's little luxuries and perfect for our picnic. After the much appreciated brief respite to snack, Mads and I came somewhat into this reality and in one swift choerographed motion, bounded up and into the kitchen and front room like two desperate cats in water to once again make things somewhat presentable for tomorrow. Now, all I have to do is prepare the kabobs, shuck the corn, make the salad, ready the tabbouli, make the apple pie and the official version of the crisp we sampled tonight, clean the bathroom, mop the floors, tidy the laundry room, freshen up the little girls' room, prepare the back yard, and cook the food. Ahh, did I mention that I work until 2 tomorrow and I have everyone coming over at 4? No fears though folks as I was just reminded of a few simple truths. We can always cross our fingers, bless the stars that we only invite good friends over in the first place who love us and help us tuck away less flattering piles of daily life, and know that it is my party and it isnt starting without me!


We prepared the veggies for the skewers tomorrow
Fruits and veg are awaiting their entrance into the party
Here is the fruit crisp as we sliced the poached peaches and combined the ingredients for the crisp

2 comments:

Deanna said...

Oh Bethany! You truly are your mother's daughter :) I loved reading this, it sounded as if I were really talking to you. I hope your party is lovely indeed!

Allie said...

YUM!! I love all these new posts Behtany!! When are WE going to get together?? I need a Cricut buddy.