Sunday, July 5


*Fly lady and me*

I come from a home where I did not have to worry about things like cleaning bathrooms or bedrooms, ironing, and so forth. Occasionally my dad would have enough of it and call us together on a Saturday to pass out garbage bags and make us follow him around the house on a cleaning death march. Years later, I still have not adjusted to the idea of making my bed daily, doing the dishes, or the real purpose of mopping floors. I purchased and read several home cleaning encyclopedias, worked on making time in my crazy schedule to a cleaning routine, and got desperate enough to hire myself a maid. What? The apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

When getting on the Dave Ramsey plan, I tried to cut costs where possible. After a blissful several months of coming home to a sparkling home courtesy of my "house fairy," I had to take matters into my own hands and get a cleaning routine that fit. Enter the fly lady.

Marla Ciley started Fly lady for those of us who need a bit more guidance in basic housekeeping 101. She has a series of routines that ask no more that 15 minutes a day to keep your home in order. Check her out. The nicest part for me was not having to hide in the living room when unexpected guests came to the front door, but instead I would let them in knowing that I had an orderly home that I could be proud of.

This week Fly lady's, her focus is on the kitchen. Here are a few of her simple kitchen steps. Go to her website to get the daily routine, and my ultimate favorite tool of hers, the weekly home blessing hour.

Ok so here is this weeks list detailed list. Not everything needs to be done every month, by on a rotating monthly schedule, everyting will be completed. Enjoy!

KITCHEN: DETAIL CLEANING LIST
1. EMPTY REFG/CLEAN THOROUGHLY
2. CLEAN MICROWAVE INSIDE AND OUT
3. CLEAN STOVE/OVEN
4. WASH CANISTER/KNICK-KNACKS
5. STRAIGHTEN DRAWERS/CUPBOARDS
6. WIPE FINGERPRINTS OFF WALLS
7. WASH INSIDE WINDOWS
8. CLEAN FAN/VENT-A-HOOD FILTERS AND HOOD
9. SCRUB DOWN CABINET FRONTS (only a few at a time)
10. CLEAN LIGHT DEFUSING BOWLS(GLASS GLOBES OVER
LIGHT BULBS)
11. CLEAN UNDER SINK/THROW AWAY OLD RAGS
12. CLEAN PET DISHES


5 comments:

Jessica said...

I found your blog through my google analytics! Hah, so you thought you could lurk, but I am all knowing! Just kidding. I have a hard time cleaning those things that aren't on my daily or weekly list, like cleaning the fridge. So those odd things end up getting dirty to the point that I notice it (and by then, they are discusting!) For me, it takes about 1.5 hours a day to keep an organized household.

The Editor said...

Uh, are you saying your ol' mudder never required you to clean your room? Maybe you had a different mudder than the rest of your sibs? But enjoy the dream, my Pet. And MAKE YOUR BED! Every DAY!

bdmalouf said...

haha, sorry mom. I did that sort of stuff when we lived in Connecticut, but was in complete bliss having people do it for me in Dallas. I had the mah or Caroline, John and myself. I digged that part.

angela michelle said...

i used to do fly lady's daily 15 minute missions--and i do belive that was the last time a hairbrush around here was ever cleaned. i'm so impressed to hear of your debt-blasting success. who knew working for a bank was so good for you? good luck with your pogacha--happy to know i was there to help.

Julie said...

Hi there! I am going to look up more about the fly lady thanks to you. And if you bug Rafa to help me update our blog I will finally make a new post. Your blog is awesome!!! You write so much, I wish I did more with mine.