Saturday, July 24


* What a delight*

Recently, I have begun following the Fly Lady routines again (which you will recall from months past) and my life has once again become rather seamless. I am more able to manage the stresses of work, I answer the doors when people come knocking free from CHAOS (Cant Have Anyone Over Syndrome), and last night, the most remarkable thing of all happened.... Brian invited over a group of friends to play cards for the first time in our eight year marriage!

Brian told me the night before that his buddies were headed my way, and rather than protest, or spend the night in a frenzy of activity preparing the house for guests, I smiled and went about my regular routines. The night of the party, when Brian and I came home from work, we spent about ten minutes getting ready for his guests to arrive. It was darling, Brian put out a fresh roll of toilet paper, put grapefruit scented soap in the bathroom rather than using the usual one in the kitchen, he laid out a hand towel rather than use our usual bath towel from the morning, and then even encouraged me to make treats for his buddies. So, last night I had five people in my living room, brownies, quiche, monkey bread, and a number of drinks in the kitchen, and lively music playing from the TV.

I made sure that they had all that they needed and then gave them some space as Brian seems to be most comfortable with his guests without my exuberance impeding his social mores. I slipped out to run on our treadmill for an hour, took a cool shower, made myself a lovely cup of peppermint tea, did my before bed routines, and then went into our cozy and tidy bedroom to read myself to sleep with the lovely Anne Of Green Gables. I nodded off, listening to my typically silent husband laughing and interacting with his friends in the front room - all because he felt comfortable enough to have them over on a moments notice thanks to the recent re commitment to my life and our home.

*Thanks Fly Lady!*

1 comment:

The Editor said...

Oh, that warms my black heart, Bethany! Dad and I LOVED staying at your "lick-the-floors-clean" house a couple of weeks ago. With your style, your sweet digs and your fantastic cooking skillz, being a guest chez vous is da' bomb!